Re: d-i on a second hard drive in a G5

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:42:45AM -0500, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:10 +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> > > This last line seems odd. My G5 has only one disk and has a very
> > > similar line for device. That makes me think that it isn't getting
> > > the right OF path for /dev/sdb2. I would have expected the second
> > > drive to be on the second sata channel. Without having a second
> > > device on sata on my G5, I can't really test, but it seems worth
> > > investigating for someone who knows the installer better.
> >
> > The installer uses ofpath to translate from device nodes to open
> > firmware paths. Pedro: Can you run the following commands in Linux:
> >
> > ofpath /dev/sda
> > ofpath /dev/sdb
> >
> Here's what I get:
>
> #ofpath /dev/sda
> /ht@0,f2000000/pci@5/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
>
> #ofpath /dev/sdb
> /k2-sata@0/disk@0:

This look strange to me. Is /k2-sata@0/disk@0: a valid OF path on your
system? Comparing it to the first path it seems to miss some components.

> So indeed it seems that ofpath has decided that both sata drives are
> "sata@0" :|
>
> I manually edited the yaboot config file to have
>
>   device=/k2-sata@1/disk@0:
>
> and then I run the command
>   chroot /target
>   ybin --config /etc/yaboot.conf -b /dev/sdb2
These options to ybin shouldn't be neccessary, but I don't think that
this will solve your problem. Does the path /k2-sata@1/disk@0: exist on
your system or is this just a guess?

Gaudenz