Re: report on iMacDV/iBook SE (was Re: Installing Debian on an Imac DV)

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:59:01AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Of course. I was just wondering if and how the DRI stuff is currently
> integrated in your packages. I see the *_dri.so modules are in the
> xserver-xfree86 package - they are useless without libGL though, so wouldn't
> they rather belong there?

I've decided to put all XFree86 server modules in the xserver-xfree86
package as a tactic to prevent bug reports about being unable to find a
module package, or "THE X SURVUR SHOULD DEPEND ON THE XYZ SURVUR MODULE
BECAUSE SURVUR IZ BROKEN ON MY BOX W1THOUT THE XYZ MODULE. D00D!!1!1!"
(I get lots of bug reports like this, because of course every single
computer in the world is identical.)

I'm not 100% opposed to breaking some server modules out, but:
1) It needs to be done in a logical, coherent fashion, and me *must* avoid
    anything resembling a "one-package-per-module" situation.
2) I want to be presented with a complete plan of action for handling
   dependencies and virtual packages dependencies thus required.

> And I was wondering if it would be appropriate to include the changes from my
> PPC DRI branch into your packages so that we have working DRI in the powerpc
> packages now. May be better to wait until it finds its way into the XFree86
> CVS though...

I am more than happy to integrate PowerPC patches (DRI or otherwise) if
they:
1) Apply to my current source package.  I know I make this difficult by
updating from CVS almost every day.
2) Don't break other architectures (either at compile or run-time).  I
really dislike things like %ifarch in RPM .spec files.

I've been over these issues with Dan Jacobowitz, and unfortunately I think
accomplishing these 2 points is at present just too much work.  So we may
end up waiting for Ani to make his fixes portable and push them to XFree86
CVS.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Experience should teach us to be most on
Debian GNU/Linux                |   our guard to protect liberty when the