Re: report on iMacDV/iBook SE (was Re: Installing Debian on an Imac DV)

Hadess wrote:

> Quoting Michel Dänzer <daenzerm@student.ethz.ch>:
>
> > Hadess wrote:
> >
> > > I still have to test XF4 on these 2 machines. Does the ati128 driver
> > > recognize the Rage 128 Mobility ?
> >
> > The latest CVS probably does, but it doesn't work nevertheless because
> > it can't cope with the flat panel :(
> >
> > In the DRI PPC branch I have added an option "DisableFP" to surpass this
> > issue, so that might work (only at the full panel resolution though),
> > including 3d acceleration :)
>
> What do the Debian XFree packages include ?

XFree86 CVS from sometime after 4.0.1c + PPC patches from Ani Joshi's rsync
tree.

> If I understand well, I could get:
>     X Strike-force deb packages
>   + kernel patches from DRI/PPC

The kernel stuff (DRM) is only needed for 3D, and it's in Ben's kernels now.

>   + CVS ati128 driver from DRI/PPC
> and it should (would...) work, or not ?

Yes, it should. Be sure to use Option "DisableFP". If you forget that, you get
either garbage or a black screen, but you can abort the server with
ctrl-alt-backspace.

> I'm a bit confused with all these different places I can get X from.

It is confusing I guess :( All the stuff should eventually be merged into
standard XFree86 though.

> Also, could you make a snapshot (sources) available ? I don't have ways to
> access CVS (f/w).

No SSH? SourceForge uses an SSH tunnel for CVS. Anyway, I'll probably put up
new test binaries in the not too distant future and will announce them here.

> PS: When done, I ask John Carmack for Quake3 on PPC/Linux ;P

:) Might be better to ask Loki directly though ;)

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project