Re: report on iMacDV/iBook SE (was Re: Installing Debian on an Imac DV)

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:59:01AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Of course. I was just wondering if and how the DRI stuff is currently
> > integrated in your packages. I see the *_dri.so modules are in the
> > xserver-xfree86 package - they are useless without libGL though, so
> > wouldn't they rather belong there?
>
> I've decided to put all XFree86 server modules in the xserver-xfree86
> package as a tactic to prevent bug reports about being unable to find a
> module package, or "THE X SURVUR SHOULD DEPEND ON THE XYZ SURVUR MODULE
> BECAUSE SURVUR IZ BROKEN ON MY BOX W1THOUT THE XYZ MODULE. D00D!!1!1!"
> (I get lots of bug reports like this, because of course every single
> computer in the world is identical.)

*LOL*

However, these aren't server modules. They are loaded by libGL for direct
rendering. So I think the xlibgl1 package is the logical place for them.

> > And I was wondering if it would be appropriate to include the changes from
> > my PPC DRI branch into your packages so that we have working DRI in the
> > powerpc packages now. May be better to wait until it finds its way into
> > the XFree86 CVS though...
>
> I am more than happy to integrate PowerPC patches (DRI or otherwise) if
> they:
> 1) Apply to my current source package.  I know I make this difficult by
> updating from CVS almost every day.
> 2) Don't break other architectures (either at compile or run-time).  I
> really dislike things like %ifarch in RPM .spec files.
>
> I've been over these issues with Dan Jacobowitz, and unfortunately I think
> accomplishing these 2 points is at present just too much work.  So we may
> end up waiting for Ani to make his fixes portable and push them to XFree86
> CVS.

Agreed. That is I'll take care of my stuff myself ;)

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project