report on iMacDV/iBook SE (was Re: Installing Debian on an Imac DV)

Hi,

Quoting Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>:

> put all this at the root of your macos partition and create a
> yaboot.conf like this:
>
> device=hd:
>
> image=linux
> 	label=debian
> 	initrd=root.bin
> 	initrd-size=8192
>
> then boot into OpenFirmware (command option o f) and run:
>
> boot hd:,yaboot

Works nifty indeed. I've used this trick to install Debian on my iMac/DV this
week-end. I had a bit more problems with the iBook SE (the new one with DVD),
the kernel doesn't recognize the Rage 128 Mobility so the display *seems* to
hang after the "Booting..." message. Adding "novideo" to yaboot.conf solves the
problem. (I was using the stock kernel from the R0 CDs).

A couple of things, I'll like to see changed.

Daniel, I think you are responsible for the PPC boot-floppies: would you add
"eject" to it ? Otherwise, you have to use a paperclip to get the CD out on
multiple CD installs, with slot-loading iMacs.

Ethan, your mac-fdisk document should really be added to the Debian/PPC install
doc. Invaluable.

I still have to test XF4 on these 2 machines. Does the ati128 driver recognize
the Rage 128 Mobility ?

Cheers

/Hadess
http://hadess.net