Re: status update of ocaml 3.06 testing transition.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 10:08:00AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >Well, good news, but bad news also ..
> >
> >I was looking at the postgresql dependencies, (perl 5.8 is not yet in
> >testing for example) and noticed that libc6 2.3.1 is not yet in testing
> >also, and has a page full of bugs (13 release critical, many arches out
> >of sync because of bugs, ...).
> >

> Doh! Many showstoppers.

Mmm, maybe not so many, i looked quickly at the bugs, and they seem
(apart from the ones giving fixes) related to two things :

  o program breaking (mainly nss and such stuff, php, apache) because
  they use undocumented functions of libc that are no more exported.

  o program breaking, as ocaml did, because they need a rebuild with the
  new libc6.

So i think this situation is not yet solved but many people are working
actively at it, and it may be solved nextly, i hope.

> >Ocaml 3.06 depends on libc6 2.3.1 (since i had to rebuild ocaml for the
> >new libc6 because it introduced incompatibilities), as does postgresql,
> >so altough we sovled our problems, there is no hope of a quick testing
> >migration, we have to change our plans, here are a few options :
> >
> > o suspend the mini-freeze, and continue to work as we did.
>
> I agree.

Well, Let's wait a week yet or something such, unless something important
happens, and see how the libc6 situation evolves.

> > o postpone the libdir migration to the sucessfull testing migration.
>
> I agree.

Anyway, we have no choice, apart from breaking all of unstable in a few
days.

> > o do a libdir migrated ocaml package in experimental.
>
> Why not. But we have to be cautious about not closing bugs in
> experimental uploads (because uploads to experimental are
> considered as standard uploads).

I could also setup a private staging area on my debian acount or
something such. This would maybe be neater.