Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On 01/29/2012 05:40 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:14:45AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
that launches GTM, and since it is the
first time it runs, it creates a directory
under $HOME/.fis-gtm
I am EXTREMELY likely to wake sleeping lions here but this
seems to hint at a fundamental - what shall we call it -
issue ? of how VistA operates.
I admit I also stumbled about this $HOME/.fis-gtm issue but was to tired
yesterday and forgot to bring this up in my response.

[KSB] GT.M is both a compiler that dynamically generates object modules from source modules, as well as a NoSQL database engine. The operation of a GT.M process is entirely controlled by a number of environment variables that include variables to help a process locate routines and directories, databases, etc. In a multi-user / multi-application environment, system administrators use shell scripts to provide GT.M processes with these environment variables.

For a simple, single-user out-of-the-box experience (install GT.M, run the "gtm" script), GT.M creates a default environment (with directories for routines, databases, etc.) under $HOME/.fis-gtm (or under any directory specified by the gtmdir environment variable).

Regards
-- Bhaskar

I truly hope I am misunderstanding and I'm sure Bhaskar will
set me right.

Since running

	/usr/lib/fis-gtm/54002B-initial/gtm

	(which should probably be /usr/lib/gtm symlinked to
	 /usr/lib/fis-gtm/54002B-initial/gtm by way of the
	 alternatives system, no ?)
The alternatives system has the purpose to handle different alternative
packages.  However, in the GT.M case there are no such alternatives
currently available in Debian and I do not see a real "danger" that this
wil come soonish.  So for the moment I do not see any need for making
things more complex for no current use.

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.