Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:23:21AM -0500, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:

> [KSB] GT.M is both a compiler that dynamically generates object
> modules from source modules, as well as a NoSQL database engine.  The
> operation of a GT.M process is entirely controlled by a number of
> environment variables that include variables to help a process locate
> routines and directories, databases, etc.  In a multi-user /
> multi-application environment, system administrators use shell
> scripts to provide GT.M processes with these environment variables.

All well and good - and how does GT.M handle concurrency ?

If user A and user B both want to access the same database
at the same time how could this typically be handled ?  Can
you sketch an example ?

According to my understanding so far GT.M is but a highly
sophisticated application writing to files on disk without a
central (bunch of) process(es) handling concurrent access on
behalf of users (such as is customary for server
applications (think Apache, PostgreSQL, Oracle, ...).

> For a simple, single-user out-of-the-box experience (install GT.M,
> run the "gtm" script), GT.M creates a default environment (with
> directories for routines, databases, etc.) under $HOME/.fis-gtm (or
> under any directory specified by the gtmdir environment variable).

That would be a glorified MySQL running in user-local mode
or even comparable to splite (in terms of conceptual
structure, not in features/maturity).

What happens / does GT.M do when the very same single user
wants to run two instances of a frontend (client) from
within on, say, X session - or from two different login
sessions on the same machine - against that
simple/single-user data base ?  Or a third (terminal client)
one from an ssh session initiated from elsewhere ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346