Re: [MoM] Packaging fis-get

Hi Luis,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 07:15:34PM -0500, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> Are the links above the right places that I should be
> looking at, at this point ?

I personally liked

   http://ekaia.org/blog/2009/05/10/creating-new-gpgkey/

> >  # cat >preferences.d/01-linitan.pref <<EOT
> > Package: lintian
> > Pin: release a=unstable
> > Pin-Priority: 605
> > EOT
>
> Done, and it went smoothly.

Fine.

> but presumed that "01-linitan.pref" above
> was a typo, si used "01-lintian.pref" instead.

Yes, it was a typo which does not harm (works on all my boxes like this
- I never relaised; thanks ;-)). You can perfectly name the file like
"luis_very_own_preferences.pref".  Only the ".pref" is relevant (should
be listed in "man apt_preferences" or something like this.

>  apt-cache policy lintian
>
> lintian:
>   Installed: 2.4.3+squeeze1
>   Candidate: 2.5.4
>   Package pin: 2.5.4
>   Version table:
>      2.5.4 605
>          50 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
>  *** 2.4.3+squeeze1 605
>         501 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That's correct.

> dpkg -s lintian
> Package: lintian
> Section: devel
> Installed-Size: 1831
> Maintainer: Debian Lintian Maintainers <lintian-maint@debian.org>
> Architecture: all
> Version: 2.5.4
>
> Which seems to indicate that the update
> proceeded without trouble.

Yes.

> > In the directory:
>
> /home/ibanez/src/debian-med/trunk/packages/fis-gtm/fis-gtm-initial
>
> This command "lintian *.dsc *.deb"  returns:
>
> W: fis-gtm-initial source: syntax-error-in-dep5-copyright paragraph 2 after
> the field license:  Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. <
> http://fsf.org/>

This is correct, the copyright needs fixing.

> This seems to be a problem with the text of the license
> in the file, that prevents it from being machine readable.

Yes.  It's actually that the license needs to be one
paragraph.  If you fill up the empty lines with
 .
( "<blank>.") this should vanish.  Would you like to try

> I'm working now on getting my gpg key,
> so this part can be done without errors.

Good luck.

> >   $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
> >
> This command generated the following output:
>
> ##############################################
> rmdir: failed to remove `TMPPOSTINST': Directory not empty
> dpkg: error processing fis-gtm-initial (--install):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  fis-gtm-initial
>

> So, It looks like the process went smoothly,
> and the only problem was the removal of a
> temporary directory.

Yes.

> The directory TMPPOSTINT is indeed not empty:
>
> The command "ls TMPPOSTINST/" returns:
>
> arch.gtc    GDEADD.o         GDEPARSE.o  _G.m
> gtmstart                  LOADOP.m       _RCE.m         _XCMD.m

You need to tweak the debian/postinst script to fix this.

> This command (done after the install above) returned:
>
> apt-get -f install
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up fis-gtm-initial (54002B-1) ...
>
> ##############################################
> automatic configuration, please be patient ...
>                      GT.M Configuration Script
> Copyright 2009, 2011 Fidelity National Information Services, Inc. Use of
> this
> software is restricted by the provisions of your license agreement.
>
> What user account should own the files? (bin) What group should own the
> files? (bin) Should execution of GT.M be restricted to this group? (y or n)
> In what directory should GT.M be installed?
> Directory /usr/lib/fis-gtm/54002B-initial exists. If you proceed with this
> installation then
> some files will be over-written. Is it ok to proceed? (y or n)
> Installing GT.M....
>
> Should unicode support be installed? (y or n) Should an ICU version other
> than the default be used? (y or n) WARNING: Default ICU version not found.
> Not installing Unicode support.
>
> All of the GT.M MUMPS routines are distributed with uppercase names.
> You can create lowercase copies of these routines if you wish, but
> to avoid problems with compatibility in the future, consider keeping
> only the uppercase versions of the files.
>
> Do you want uppercase and lowercase versions of the MUMPS routines? (y or n)
> Creating lowercase versions of the MUMPS routines.
> ./CHK2LEV.m --->  ./chk2lev.m
> ./CHKOP.m --->  ./chkop.m
> removed from this directory? (y or n)
> ... automatic configuration finished
> ##############################################
> rmdir: failed to remove `TMPPOSTINST': Directory not empty
> dpkg: error processing fis-gtm-initial (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> configured to not write apport reports
>                                       Errors were encountered while
> processing:
>  fis-gtm-initial

Yes, dpkg will stumble upon this problem and will always do as long as
the postinst is not fixed.

> Which overall, looks like is attempting to repeat the
> installation process, and also runs into an issue with
> the TMPPOSTINST.

Yes.

> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  libc6-dev : Breaks: gcc-4.4 (< 4.4.6-4) but 4.4.5-8 is to be installed
> E: Broken packages

I do not have an idea why wajig does not install.  We should put this
aside and discuss separately to not spoil this thread.

> > (but this has quite some Dependencies like python3 and will spoil your
> > system with several packages fro unstable - just a warning).
> >

> Since I'm doing this in a VM that is dedicated
> exclusively to build the fis-gtm package, there
> is no harm in bringing packages from unstable.
>
> In retrospective, I should have created the VM
> as a full unstable installation. (maybe something
> to add as a suggestion for future MoM trainees).

OK.

> I do remember Norton Commander    :-)

:-)

> Installed "mc"
> It brings good memories.

:-)

> on the bright side, the build has been successful
> in the SVN directory, so I think we got that part
> of the recipe right.

Yes.

> Looking at the code in the script:
>
>  /var/lib/dpkg/info/fis-gtm-initial.postinst
>
> it seems that it expects arguments, and
> that the most innocuous is "configure",
> so I called it as:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fis-gtm-initial.postinst  configure
>
> and this replicates the process that I see as the
> final part of doing "debuild". Which is good news.

Perfect.

> I'll study this script and will check with Bhaskar on
> what is the right thing to do for the installation of
> GTM at this stage of the process.

That's what I wanted to suggest.

> I'm afraid that first,
> we will pass for an intermediate stage
> where both of us will be students of Bhaskar...       :-)

:-)

Greetings from Southport