Re: Can't create an i386 ISO, but amd64 works fine

On 11-07-15 05:02 PM, Daniel Baumann wrote:
On 07/15/2011 09:50 PM, Daniel Ellison wrote:
I don't like the default in Debian, so I'm
configuring my distribution to render fonts more like Ubuntu does.

can you elaborate (what packages, what changes, where can one see the
diff, etc.)?

Well to start, here are screenshots of both Debian Squeeze and SyrinxOS Debussy immediately after installation of the OS and then Chromium:

Debian: http://syrinxos.com/public/stock-debian-squeeze.png
Syrinx: http://syrinxos.com/public/stock-syrinx-debussy.png

Everyone has their own opinion of what makes good font rendering (if they think about it at all). This is my personal preference. To me, it makes an immense difference to the look and feel of the OS.

The files that I need to update are the ones I pin in chroot_apt/preferences:

    libcairo2
    libpixman-1-0
    libxft2

There's another one that needs to be included but refuses to be pinned for some reason:

    gtk2-engines-murrine

That's a problem to be solved later. In the meantime I simply included the appropriate version in chroot_local-packages/

I also include a ".fonts.conf" in /etc/skel/ with p 1reset font preferences:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
    <match target="font">
    </match>
</fontconfig>

I did a /lot/ of research to get this right, so maintaining it for the i386 ISO is very important to me.

Daniel