Re: debiandoc to docbook conversion situation full review (1st try)

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 05:13:26AM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
> Actually, I mean a settable XSL parameter.  I know for a fact that
> XSLT has such parameters and we should exploit them.  I'm quite sure
> with proper use of XSL we can expurgate any of this pre-processing.

If someone knows how, I wish that this will be overwritten with proper
approach.  I never studied XSL myself.

> > I an now switching between book and article.
>
> I noticed that.  It seems gross. Is this really necessary?  Not really
> very familiar with XSL, but I'm sure it can know whether the root
> document instance is a book or article in the code itself?  You've got
> your style in two places (article.xml and book.xml) and I'm sure you
> don't have to, and this makes it harder to maintain.

I can not agree more with you.  I saw article.xml and book.xml in
Phillip's original source getting inconsistent.  I know it is wrong tool
to use cpp but easiest method (as I called it as "hack" because I
thought it was not elegant).

Well not it is in CVS where any DD can commit, any volunteer?

After fixing what we can do within debian-doc, it may be best to ask
debian-sgml or debian-devel for help.

Two more piece of puzzle are:

 1) output generation framework (stylesheet customization for debian)
     -- choice of framework
 2) encoding change ISO-8859-1 -> UTF-8
     -- converstion of &uumlt; etc.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract