Re: debiandoc to docbook conversion situation full review (1st try)

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> It will be nice if all these automatic translation table is completed
> with alternative tag list.  (This table shall be the part of "best
> practice guide for debian DDP guideline to keep xml documents
> consistent.)  I am reading DebianDoc-SGML guide and...
>
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | debiandoc tag | standard docbook-xml tag  | alternative docbook-xml tag |
> | (original)    | (automatically translated) |  (manually adjusted)       |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

What does the last column here mean?

> | book          | book                      |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | title         | title                     |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | author        | author                    |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | name          | firstname+surname         |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | email         | email (only for author)   |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | version       | releaseinfo               |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | abstract      | abstract+para             |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | copyright     | copyright                 |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | toc           | ??? (defined)             |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

There is a docbook TOC tag.

> | chapt         | chapter                   |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | appendix      | appendix                  |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | sect          | sect1                     |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | sect1         | sect2                     |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

I personally disagree with using DocBook numbered sections.  DocBook
lets you nest <section> within <section> to the N-th degree.  Using
numbered <sectX> tags I think is gross.  I believe they are deprecated
in DocBook too and might go away.

> | p             | para                      |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | em            | emphasis                  |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | strong        | emphasis role="strong"    | emphasis role="bold"        |
> |               |                           | (should it be alternative?) |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | var           | replaceable               |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | package       | systemitem role="package" |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | prgn          | command                   | ? (what to use for well     |
> |               |                           |    known file)              |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | file          | filename class="?????????"|                             |
> |               | filename class="directory"|                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | tt            | token                     | literal                     |
> |               | (is this constant width?) | type? (I see many use of tt |
> |it can be:     |                           | where type input are meant) |
> |code           |                           | ?                           |
> |output fragment|                           | ?                           |
> |command string |                           | ?

Hmm, I change my mind, I think literal might be better. <token> is
more specifical and <literal> more general, matching how <tt> is also
more general.

As for whether something is rendered in proportional or fixed-width
font, we shouldn't worry about that.  That's a presentation issue, and
we need to be more focussed on preserving structure and information.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | qref          | xref ????                 |

Wouldn't it be CITATION perhaps?

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | ref           | xref                      | why not link?

XREF is empty and LINK is not empty.  Otherwise the tags are
functionally identical.  Since REF is debiandoc is always empty,
right?, it seems to map to XREF.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | manref        | citerefentry              |                             |
> |               | + refentrytitle           |                             |
> |               | + manvolnum               |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | ftpsite       | (undefined)               |

Perhaps <systemitem class="systemname" role="ftpsite"> ?

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | ftppath       | (undefined)               |                             |

Hmm.  I would have to look at how this is rendered.  Either <filename
role="ftppath"> or a <ulink> if we can reasonable construct it.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | httpsite      | (undefined)               |                             |

Ditto ftpsite above.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | httppath      | (undefined)               |

Ditto ftppath above.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | url           | ulink                     |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | footnote      | footnote                  |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | list          | itemizedlist              |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | enumlist      | orderedlist               |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | taglist       | variablelist              |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | list compact  |     (undefined)           |

itemizedlist spacing="compact"

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | enumlist compact |  (undefined)           |

ditto

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | taglist compact |   (undefined)           |

ditto

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | item          | listitem                  |

Generally listitem para I would imagine.  May depend on context.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | tag           | varlistentry+tag ??       |

Yup, I think so.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | example       | screen                    | literallayout               |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
>
> Following tags are non-documented in debiandoc-sgml manual
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | heading       | title ?                   |

Depends on context, generally title, yes.

> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | comment       | comment                   |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> | comment/p     | phrase                    |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> |               |                           |                             |
> +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
>
> Are these use constant width fonts as default?

Presentation issue, ignore that for now.

> What criteria is used to choose <token> or <literal>

Cf above.

> Many short inline keyboard input uses <tt> as a tag.  What tag is right
> for these occasion?

<command> I think

> > > example   -> literallayout         : TT            : screen

> adjust manually to <literallayout>
>
> > > heading   ->                         (larger)      : title
> >
> > Doesn't this get moved in Debiandoc2docbookxml to sectional titles?
>
> ???

XSLT can be sensitive to the containing object.