Re: debian docbook styling

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> Since utils/scripts was for site building scripts, I just put utils/convert
> for all the file format converters by Philippe Batailler.  First one was
>
>  utils/convert/debian-docbook (debiandoc-sgml to docbook-xml converter)
>
> So how about
>  utils/convert/docbook-xsl
>  utils/convert/docbook-dssl
>  utils/convert/docbook-css
> for those XML to print out converters.

I don't really like this approach.  You're mixing up a default
stylesheet customization layer (DSSSL or XSL -- CSS will go with one
of those two and is not it's own) with a document formatter.

I would suggest even convert/debian-docbook is one level too deep.

I would suggest this layout:

  utils/debiandoc-to-docbook (what was utils/convert/debian-docbook)
  utils/docbook-xsl-style    ("house style" for XSLT/XSLFO formatted output)

I would rather put off or avoid completely the notion of providing
docbk formatter "helpers".  God knows we have too many of the things
already out there (docbook-utils comes to mind), none of which work
very well IMHO.  The fact is, converting docbook via XSL to HTML or
PDF or what have you is not really our problem -- it's a general
XML/XSL toolchain issue.