Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> On 09/09/2014 17:01, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> The original plan was to have the question owned by some package that
>> could then switch the init symlink from one implementation to another.
>> That way, no abort is required.  I'm not sure if that survived contact
>> with reality, though, in the sense that I'm not sure how implementable
>> it is.

> The different init systems would have to be co-installable for this to
> work, however they are not.

They used to be.  Did we lose this somehow?

Oh, right, I remember the problem with this.  It was that various packages
required that systemd not only be installed but be running (for logind
reasons), and a dependency that can be satisfied by either init system
wasn't sufficient for this.  So you actually need systemd-shim to be
co-installable with systemd.  But I think that's now the case again,
correct?  In which case we could explore this again.