Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> writes:

> I agree with your analysis. However, how do you think we can ask the
> user ? We can have a debconf question. However, whatever the answer is,
> we must not return an error (i.e. aborting the upgrade). It is really a
> pain to recover when this occurs.

The original plan was to have the question owned by some package that
could then switch the init symlink from one implementation to another.
That way, no abort is required.  I'm not sure if that survived contact
with reality, though, in the sense that I'm not sure how implementable it
is.