Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Am 09.09.2014 17:15, schrieb Ansgar Burchardt:
> Having only some systems switch to a different init system on upgrade
> seems potentially confusing to me.

Agreed. We definitely should switch the machines on upgrades. There is a
good reason why we also did it when switching to dependency based boot.

 That said, it would be nice if
> systemd-sysv could check for common problems on installation and issue a
> debconf warning, e.g. when not currently mounted entries are present in
> /etc/fstab or when keyscripts for cryptsetup are used.

Nod. I'm planning to add such checks to systemd-sysv preinst (I think we
already have a bug report open for that).

If it finds such issues on first installation, it will pop up a debconf
prompt displaying the issues it found with some hints how to fix them
and the choice to abort or continue with the installation.

Together with the /lib/sysvinit/init fallback binary in sysvinit and
(and optionally my patch getting merged for grub [1]), this should
provide for a hopefully seamless upgrade experience.

Michael

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=757298
universe are pointed away from Earth?