Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014, at 11:54, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Ondřej Surý, le Tue 09 Sep 2014 11:47:38 +0200, a écrit :
> > And you are saying that you can do all those tweaks, but you cannot
> > pin systemd-sysv to not install?
>
> No, I'm saying that if I hadn't noticed "systemd" among the upgrades, I
> would have gotten all these changes all of a sudden without asking for
> them. That can be pretty bad for the serial console access.

Also broken libdb upgrade in hamm (I think) broke my system beyond
repair...  It's testing (and unstable), it's expected to have some
undocumented breakages. That's the sole reason to have the testing
and unstable in first place. To find the problems, fix them and if
that's
not possible (for various reasons[*]) then we should document that
in the release notes.

> And I'm saying that I don't think this is an isolated case,

And I'm saying that all we have is anecdotal evidence and we all
know what we step into when we run our systems on jessie or sid.
So please fill a bug for every breakage you will encounter, so it
can be either fixed or documented.

> I believe most our users prefer to stay with sysvinit when upgrading from wheezy

And I believe that most our users don't care. But I as a maintainer
and operator of several daemons I really do care to have as most
unified environment for debugging the problems.

Ondrej
* - f.e. I am quite sure I broke some php5-cgi deployments by enforcing
the more strict security...
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server