Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 1:57 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> Noel Torres wrote:
>> So we are clearly failing to follow the least surprise (for the user) path.
>>
>> Should not logind depend on systemd-shim | systemd-sysv instead?
>
> No. Systemd is the default init system. The default dependencies should
> reflect that.

It has already been explained that it being the default makes the
order switching irrelevant for what you recommend. If people are using
the default init, the dependency will already be satisfied and life
will not be disrupted. The same thing should happen if people are
using a different init: that decision should be maintained unless they
manually uninstall the package that satisfies the init package's
dependency.

> And from a purely functional point of view, it makes more sense to bring
> by default the standard, upstream-supported, well-tested solution, than
> the Debuntu-specific hack to use it with an inferior init system.

Another purely functional POV is that upgrading from wheezy to jessie
should not require switching your init system (or removing NM and
GNOME and more), as it does currently.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Norman