Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 13:58 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 01:37 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Why can you not simply say something like: "Well yes, there seem
> > to be some problems and we will try to fix them if we can get hold
> > of enough input. You DDs should be able to provide decent information
> > to help track the problems down."
>
> Then why on earth aren't those people who are affected providing some
> more information?
>
> This is exactly what I was talking about: If your solution is
> unstalling an affected package, then you're obviously not
> interested in fixing it in the first place.

Hi Adrian,

I looked at all the bugs with "volume" in the title.

Almost without exception, they're polite, the bug reporter has tried to
provide enough information, and many have offered to provide more
information and debugging.  Some include workarounds, and two
non-maintainers have helped triage the bugs.

But the offers of providing more information aren't being responded to.
I think the issues that non-maintainers can handle have been triaged, so
these are waiting for the maintainer to respond.

#539258 [n| | ] pulseaudio: Volume drops by 10 when skipping tracks on any application
Raised in 2009, last message is a "is this happening in the current version" asked in 2010.

#556971 [n| |=] pulseaudio does not remember volume settings, always set to 0
There are multiple workarounds in this bug from 2009 onwards, and some triage, but it seems no response from the maintainer.  The last message is that it's still reproducible 2013.

#615122 [n| | ] For HDA ATI onboard sound pulseaudio volume controls wrong alsa mixer control
Lots of description, no response from the maintainer.

#662900 [n|u|=] pulseaudio: Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 USB Audio Headset DB issue with Volume Scale
Lots of detail, a workaround, an offer to provide more info if needed, but no response.

#686667 [n| | ] /usr/bin/pactl: pactl set-sink-volume using - (minus) gives and error
Someone's replied with more information, but there's no message from the maintainer.

#726771 [n|u| ] pulseaudio does not synchronize volume levels with alsamixer for Asus Xonar D1
Someone's replied with more information, but there's no message from the maintainer.

#595135 [n|M| ] pulseaudio: Cached volume data causes abort previously-working USB DAC
Failed on upgrade, workaround supplied, someone's triaged, but there's no message from the maintainer.

#674935 [w| |=] pulseaudio: Disable flat volumes
#629987 [i| | ] pulseaudio: gnome-volume.control.pulse not show "Mic rear"
#728803 [i| | ] gnome-shell: Volume indicator disappears on startup and on reload and adjusting volume
#505835 [n| | ] Unable to change volume on remote pulseaudio daemon
#645002 [n| | ] Volume mute at every restart of pulseaudio (or restart of X)
#649568 [n| | ] pulseaudio: increasing volume manages all knobs causing a noise
#680645 [n| | ] pulseaudio: Pulse audio does not remember volume settings and allways load with 150%
#682731 [n| | ] gnome-shell fails to remember volume settings after shutdown/restart and default is only ~20%
#541538 [n|M| ] Sound volume jumps on play
No specific comments about these reports.

The balance of numbers resolved vs unresolved is unusual for "volume",
in total src:pulseaudio has 167 resolved vs 187 outstanding.

#525572 [i| |☺♲] [pulseaudio] pulseaudio: volume muted after every boot
This one has a feedback and a fix from the maintainer.

#657117 [i|+|☺♲] [pulseaudio] pulseaudio: FTBFS on armel due to linking nonexistent volume library
Fixed by maintainer

#689171 [i| |♲] [pulseaudio] pulseaudio: After boot the volume is always reset to 100%
Resolved by submitter on the same day as submission

#557189 [n| |♲] [pulseaudio] rhythmbox: Volume control ridiculously sensitive
Resolved by submitter at the same time as reassigning to pulseaudio

Steve