Re: pulseaudio related problems....

On 02/17/2014 02:52 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 09:05:42PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>>> I'll agree with that.  Audio really should just work unless the hardware
>>> configuration is particularly strange.
>
> +1

+1

>> So, if your computer has several sounds cards - which is the case when
>> you have both a sound card and HDMI audio - how is PulseAudio supposed
>> to know which sound card to use? This is in no way different to plain
>> ALSA.
>
> I have no idea whether this remark is helpful but this thread inspired
> me to give pulseaudio another chance on one of my boxes (I had
> deinstalled previously on all boxes where sound stoped working at some
> point in time randomly).  Despite I gave pavucontrol and pasystray a try
> to configure pulseaudio my box remained silent (in *any* control I
> tried).  It seems as long as there is no button saying "please give me
> any sound" this is not helpful.s
>
> My trouble might be connected to my choice to use xfce and perhaps it is
> wrong to blame pulseaudio exclusively.
>
> I know that I should go to some user list to ask for help and do not
> expect it here.  I just want to confirm that there is some problem with
> pulseaudio even if you try to configure it and my personal way to deal
> with this is to kick pulseaudio again.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

I do use pulse myself, and I have learnd how to go around its issues,
and kind of like pulse.

However, the fact that multiple DDs, which I do consider all as computer
experts, failed to have a working setup, can only lead to the conclusion
that there's something wrong which has to be fixed, especially if it
comes by default with Debian. If DDs can't go around the issues and just
feel that it's not worth spending more time, imagine with someone that
isn't a computer expert...

I'm also convinced that it should be possible to have a working default
pulse setup. Emitting sound on all available sound output by default,
and making sure that the level isn't zero upon install, seems like a
sensible thing to do.

Thomas