Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Roger Leigh dijo [Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 03:49:54PM +0100]:
>>> How shall I answer that?
>>> I know that I myself use auto-mounting extensively and also don't expect my
>>> father to type someting like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"
>> Absolutely, but this is a separate issue.  You can still, in any desktop
>> environment, click on a CDROM icon in the filemanager/desktop/wherever,
>> and have the CDROM automounted.  That's done with pmount.
>>
>> This is only /automatic/ mounting on CDROM insertion, where it pops up
>> a window or runs a program on insertion.  Without this automatic HAL
>> notification, you can still easily access the CD without any manual
>> "mount" command.
>
> ...Which sadly matches user expectations. Since we deactivated the
> autorun facility for a laboratory of Windows machines I have nearby,
> users regularly knock at my door asking why their CDs don't work
> anymore.

yes, you are right!

[offtopic]

On the other hand, it took few time for windows user to learn
about proper "ejecting" of USB pen.

Users can be educated more easily than developers ;-)

Grandmas know how to "umount" and eject USB keys more
easily that I had with floppy disk on early time in Linux.
We know about hardware, low level disk command, but
we tended to forget how good was the Linux write caching ;-)

so yes, we should be able to handle such user expectation
(but also maybe try to convince user to use better methods,
thus that inserting USB pen and CD should be like ejecting
it (with an extra user action)

ciao
	cate