Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 06:13:47PM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> > Michael Biebl wrote:
> > powertop encourages to disable polling, so it is a big point.
>
> I agree with you in general, but I doubt polling every 2 or 16 seconds will make
> any significant difference power consumption wise.
>
> > "Majority of users it just works", but how many of such user will use this feature?
>
> How shall I answer that?
> I know that I myself use auto-mounting extensively and also don't expect my
> father to type someting like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"

Absolutely, but this is a separate issue.  You can still, in any desktop
environment, click on a CDROM icon in the filemanager/desktop/wherever,
and have the CDROM automounted.  That's done with pmount.

This is only /automatic/ mounting on CDROM insertion, where it pops up
a window or runs a program on insertion.  Without this automatic HAL
notification, you can still easily access the CD without any manual
"mount" command.

Regards,
Roger

--