Re: RFA: acpi-support -- glue layer for translating laptop buttons, plus legacy suspend support

Roger Leigh dijo [Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 03:49:54PM +0100]:
> > How shall I answer that?
> > I know that I myself use auto-mounting extensively and also don't expect my
> > father to type someting like "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom"
>
> Absolutely, but this is a separate issue.  You can still, in any desktop
> environment, click on a CDROM icon in the filemanager/desktop/wherever,
> and have the CDROM automounted.  That's done with pmount.
>
> This is only /automatic/ mounting on CDROM insertion, where it pops up
> a window or runs a program on insertion.  Without this automatic HAL
> notification, you can still easily access the CD without any manual
> "mount" command.

...Which sadly matches user expectations. Since we deactivated the
autorun facility for a laboratory of Windows machines I have nearby,
users regularly knock at my door asking why their CDs don't work
anymore.

Grmbl...

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23