Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On 17-Jul-07, 10:33 (CDT), Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> I think that we would be able to better serve our users if we removed
> useless and/or unmaintained and/or buggy software from our archive.

Those three things are not comparable. "Unmaintained" and "buggy" are,
to at least some extent, objective criterion. "Useless" is a matter of
opinion. Is 'nvi' useless? Not to me, but I'd guess that a great many of
our users would think so. Who decides?

And to comment on another of your points: yes, requiring two menu
formats is silly. If the FDo format is a complete superset of the debian
menu format, then transitioning to FDo format is a fine proposal.
Someone (Bruce Sass?) proposed a straightforward transition plan.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net