Re: Any problems with mips/mipsel?

* Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [2007-07-17 12:06:19 +0200]:

> Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex@debian.org> writes:
>
> > * Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> [2007-07-05 13:01:36 +0200]:
> >
> >> You should check http://buildd.debian.org/<pkg> which will tell you that
> >> both attempted to build your package but failed. Looks like a toolchain
> >> issue to me. You could ask on <arch>@buildd.debian.org to retry the
> >> package. Or you could try to find out first if the issue is fixed,
> >> that might be easily possible or not.
> >
> > So, what can a developer do when builds for a package consistently fail on
> > mips/mipsel? Buildd logs are not very helpful in this case since they just
> > show uninformative assembler failure messages. I also made several unanswered
> > requests to debian-admin@lists.debian.org for build-depends installation on
> > any developer accessible mips/mipsel machine to try looking at the build to
> > figure out the problem.
> >
> > I'm not sure what the next step to take would be.
> >
> > Alex.
>
> Buy a Linksys router and use a chroot on nbd or nfs to build.
>
> Have you asked on debian-mips for anyone to trace the problem? Most
> maintainers won't be able to track gcc/binutils bugs.
>
> MfG
>         Goswin

Goswin,

Thanks for the answer. I was going to follow mrvn's suggestion on #d-d to try
breaking some of the routines in the offending source file into smaller chunks
and going through the loops to make sure there is nothing really big there
that will be out of assembler opcode storage size. In the meanwhile, I'm
subscribing to the debian-mips list to ask people there to trace the problem.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Alex.