Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le mardi 17 juillet 2007 à 08:50 -0500, Steve Greenland a écrit :
> > If you have nothing to say apart proving that you don't want to
> > understand what people write, what's the point of contributing to a
> > mailing list?
>
> You keep saying that because you don't use particular menu entries, and
> because you don't understand why anyone would use those menu entries,
> they should be removed.

They should be removed *by default*.

> When others say that they *do* find those
> entries useful, you say that well, we're not the important users, and
> our use of those menu entries is irrelevant, and we can work around the
> inconvenience.

Well, if the maintainers have the extra burden to support two distinct
menu systems, I'd understand their will to only support the one that
works best.

> My point, which I tried to make through what I thought was obvious
> humorous exageration, was that NOBODY uses all of Debian.

Apart from sarcasm being different from humour, that is obvious.

> There are
> huge chunks that I'll never use. To *me* they are useless clutter -
> they make Package file downloads larger, they make finding things via
> aptitude and apt-cache search more inconvenient, they fill up my disk
> with useless translations. But because I agree with the "Debian is the
> universal operating system" sentiment, I don't spend time trying to get
> that "useless clutter" removed. I accept that many people find that
> functionality useful, and get on with it.

Good for you. I think that we would be able to better serve our users if
we removed useless and/or unmaintained and/or buggy software from our
archive. I'm not saying any software which isn't used by 90% of them
should be removed, as you seem to imply, but we should reduce the
functionality we are providing so that we can keep our quality level.

--
 .''`.