Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le vendredi 13 juillet 2007 à 18:34 -0400, Joey Hess a écrit :
> But how well does it scale, if you put a random sampling of about 700 menu
> items (about the quantity in my laptop's Debian menu) in it? Does it
> become a total disaster and mess in which I can't find
> $IMPORTANT_GOME_APP when I'm using Gnome, or is this somehow dealt with?

We can use additional keywords in the desktop entries to get them sorted
in sub-menus when appropriate, but many desktop files are not tagged
correctly. As you can see in the specification [0], all categories we
need should be here, so if we tag desktop files appropriately, the
generated menu should be usable.

> Well, I'm not particularly arguing against that. I am, however, asking
> that if we decide to do it, we _decide_ and then _do_it_. Currently,
> without rationalle, lots of maintainers are being asked to add redundant
> info to their packages in the form of .desktop files. As such a
> maintainer, I have a hard time telling if doing so is the right thing
> for me to be doing right now, or if it will just add work and clutter up
> Gnome's menu with my insignificant games and esoteric GUI apps.

Unless an application is included in a task, you can expect that people
installing it want it in their menu.

> This seems to argue that if we throw out menu and add .desktop files, we
> will only want to add them for some things. Which things, and how do we
> decide what? Without some clear direction as to what's appropriate to
> add, the way I see it heading is that we'll get .desktop files for maybe
> 50% of the same useless stuff.

Yes, this is a problem. Just like the debconf situation some time ago,
it probably requires people hunting the abusing packages with a cluebat.

> > A menu entry for each window manager? WTF? We can select them from the
> > display manager now.
>
> Some of us like to change WMs without closing our 50 xterms. This is a
> very nice feature of the current system, actually.

Oh my. Do you mean that in the 90 window managers shipped in Debian,
none of them is suitable for all your needs and that you have to use
*several* ones depending on the moment?

> > A menu entry for yelp? It is already accessible from all applications
> > needing it and from the GNOME panel.
>
> Granted. So, why does yelp have a desktop file too, then?

It brings the icon in the panel's system menu.

> > Apart from a few games (see the initial request you were faced with),
>
> Which few exactly?

Depends on what I'm playing at the moment. Currently that would be
neverball and noiz2sa.

> > I can't find anything in the Debian menu which is neither already in the
> > GNOME menu at a better place, or simply completely unsuitable for a
> > graphical menu.
>
> If that's actually true, we could drop menu from the gnome-desktop and
> kde-destkop tasks. (What about XFCE?)

I think we should do that as soon as most relevant packages ship
their .desktop file, yes.

  [0] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

--
 .''`.