Re: Spam in the lists out of control

Scripsit Martin List-Petersen <martin+debian-devel@list-petersen.net>
> On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 20:36, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Scripsit Martin List-Petersen <martin+debian-devel@list-petersen.net>

> > > So why not reimplement whitelist@l.d.o. in a way, that if you use an
> > > alias, that not is on the whitelist, your email will be hold, you'll
> > > get a email back to verify your identity and automatically get added
> > > to the whitelist.

> > That would amount to letting l.d.o spam every poor innocent joe-job
> > target in the world.

> It would happen once, the first time you post to any l.d.o
> mailinglist with a unknown email-address, never again.

No. It will happen the first time someone tries to spam a l.d.o
mailinglist and fakes my address in the From: line.

Debian should exhibit better behavior than "it's OK to set up our
machines to spam everybody as long as we spam them only once".

> It would never happen, if you were subscribed

So our spam would only hit innocent bystanders, not project
participants. Great.

> I really would like to know, where the problem is there ?

The problem is that the proposal would lead Debian to send out
spam. That is Not Acceptable.

--
Henning Makholm                                          Set your feet free!