Re: Spam in the lists out of control

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:07:42PM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 10:37:00PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> > Another list that I'm on requires subscription to the list, and
> > subscription to a seperate post-access list, eg:
> > debian-devel (subscription for receiving the list)
> > debian-devel-post (subscription for posting rights)
>
> I assume you are talking about NANOG.  That mechanism only exists so that
> the nanog "powers that be" can suspend people's posting privileges.

Nope, UKNOT.

> Anyone who is subscribed to a list should be able to post to it.  If
> additional people want to post to a list without subscribing it should be
> fairly trivial to add them to a whitelist.

I agree,
however, the question is if we should make the list postable to only
those who are subscribed, or those on a whitelist. As it stands at the
moment, the list policy, whilst very admirable for it's open access
mentality, is prone to spam.

Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li B345BDD3