Re: Debian IS for the enterprise (Was: Debian Enterprise?)

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:38:52PM +0100, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Quoting David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>:
>
> > No, because if we only had, say, 3000 packages, a lot of people wouldn't
> > have their pet packages left in Debian, and thus nothing to care for...
> > Would you become an active apache2-maintainer if we dumped Roxen? After
> > all, we don't need more than one webserver, do we?!
>
> Yes we do,

Well, that's your opinion. In my opinion, we don't *need* 20
webservers, 14 MTA's, and whatnot[1]. Then again, my laptop isn't really
a webserver, and I do understand the reason for the fact we do have 20
webservers and 14 MTA's: Having more packages implies having more
choice. Choice is good.

> but we don't need xMb of Linux Gazette,

Shall we throw out doc-linux-text and doc-linux-html while we're at it?

> 'lots' of megs for misc games etc. The list can probably be made
> long... That can be provided by any of the the Debian GNU/Linux
> derivates...

Why do you insist on putting these in their own private tiny bit? Isn't
it better to have a "Universal Operating System" which can be employed
in any number of ways, including a mixed system?

[1] try for yourself:
grep-available -FProvides httpd -sPackage|wc -l
grep-available -FProvides mail-transport-agent -sPackage|wc -l

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."