Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Am Di, den 25.11.2003 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow um 17:02:
> Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > > Its your job as the user of debix to provide a already "knopified"
> > > chroot or to provide debs that debix will install via debootstrap to
> > > create a filesystem for the cd.
> > In fact, debix solves the last part of my proposal to create a Knoppix
> > from Debian-Mirror.

The easiest way for a debian-live-cd is, run cdbackup.
There a lot of interesting projects based on debian, ex. gibraltar,
debian 4 Xbox, Lindows, all of them are debianbased. Impossible to
include all them into debian. I think its better to help those projects,
bring them closer to debian. Find out what is different compared to a
deb. Xfree is the same piece of software. I´m quit sure you can find
every software from knoppix inside debian.

Technically you boot a ( i can't understand why ) modified debian-base
system and start automatic hardware-configuration then your Desktop/
Firewall/ File-server/ Cluster. I do not understand differentiated to a
debian. A cool/colorful Desktop ?

> > > Producing debs for this would be better because then you can easily
> > > update and modify the system.
> > Absolutely.
> >
> > > Making the debs policy cleans allows
> > > them to enter debian. The debs should be such that they can be used on
> > > a normal debian harddisk installation.
> > You are describing a perfect world.  For sure I would prefer this as well.
> > But I hate it if people tell me that building Knoppix from scratch is
> > impossible because of some policy problems because I regard those problems
> > as solvable in the end if we would get a *working* solution in the first
> > run.  The problem is that some configuration has to be "adapted" which
> > could be solved by writing debconf patches for some packages if necessary.
> >
> > > Debix takes care of the live cd
> > > stuff transparently. This also mean any debian user can just upgrade
> > > his debian to a knoppix.
> > Hmmm, I can't parse the sense of this.  IMHO Knoppix is just the live CD
> > system.

[...]

Cheers,
amu