Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

Andreas Mueller <amu@tr.debian.net> writes:

> Am Di, den 25.11.2003 schrieb Goswin von Brederlow um 17:02:
> > Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> > > In fact, debix solves the last part of my proposal to create a Knoppix
> > > from Debian-Mirror.
>
> The easiest way for a debian-live-cd is, run cdbackup.
> There a lot of interesting projects based on debian, ex. gibraltar,
> debian 4 Xbox, Lindows, all of them are debianbased. Impossible to
> include all them into debian. I think its better to help those projects,
> bring them closer to debian. Find out what is different compared to a
> deb. Xfree is the same piece of software. I´m quit sure you can find
> every software from knoppix inside debian.
>
> Technically you boot a ( i can't understand why ) modified debian-base

With debix you start the debix kernel (kernel-image with
kernel-patch-device-mapper or a 2.6.x kernel when it comes out) with
an initrd. The initrd detects some hardware to find the cdrom, mount
it and sets up a snapshot over the loopback file on cdrom. That in
turn is then mounted, /etc/fstab adapted to the current mountpoints,
pivot_rooted and chrooted into and /sbin/init started like any normal
boot.

I have a cd image with a 100% debian woody base system created with
the boot-floppies from woody as the loopback file. Works
perfectly. Thats thegoal of debix, a 0 change live CD creation.

> system and start automatic hardware-configuration then your Desktop/
> Firewall/ File-server/ Cluster. I do not understand differentiated to a
> debian. A cool/colorful Desktop ?

The important part is autodetection and autoconfiguration of
hardware. Configuring say X in debian is a pain since 99.9% of all
people can use the autogenerated config from say knoppix.

Basically that autoconfiguration needs to be merged into the debs but
the maintainer is not realy open for this. And writing a second deb to
configure X would be against policy.

Whats left? Fork the xfree deb? No way.

For the xfree-autoconf package (or whatever it will be called) I
probably have to dpkg-divert the X server and replace it with a wraper
that makes it use different config files, those generated by
xfree-autoconf. Thats quite ugly.

MfG
        Goswin