Re: Integrate Knoppix in Debian (was: Re: Debian Enterprise?)

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:42:48PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > If knoppix is all handled by debs you can koppify your installed
> > system by "apt-get install <knoppix debs>". Thats the end goal of
> > getting knoppix into Debian in my opinion.
> So we have very different opinions about Knoppix.  I understand
> Knoppix as plain Debian prepared as live CD while it has some nice
> preconfiguration but this is more or less debian-desktop work and
> has absolutely nothing to do with Knoppix.

Ummm... You are wrong here. Knoppix (or Knoppix-derived versions) provide
three things:

1- a live CD (can be easily developed with the usual tools)

2- autoconfiguration of hardware (again, this is or could  be integrated
into Debian)

3- preconfiguration of all the software and customisation for a specific
need.

4- a system to duplicate this live Cd into hard disk, making the necessary
changes based on what was auto-detected.

The (3) part is not something that debian-desktop will do since it boils
down to modifying, at leisure, the system's configuration (/etc directly,
since there is not a single point of configuration, debconf is not an
option here). This preconfiguration is the one that allows customisation
for the system to end-users and it basicly boils down to doing it on your
own system (touching files, tweaking stuff, adding tools, etc.) and then
using it as an image for the live-CD (1) and as an 'image' for user
installations (4).

It's also something that cannot be 'packaged' easily (there are as many
possible setups as users out there), and usually this packaging violates
policy (since the package would modify other packages configuration
files).

The nice part of Knoppix is not that it auto-detects hardware since this
can be done already in Debian (kudzu and the like are already available)
but that somebody has taken the time to customize the environment (the
desktop or whatever) to suit the needs of an specific group. He has
selected the tools that will be available and has customised them to work
as expect.

For example, take a spanish user group for example with ~0 computer
administration knowledge that want an Internet environment. You can provide
a system that is a replica of yours which is already configured enabling
spanish i18n everywhere (task that involves modifying /etc/ configuration
files), with Mozilla already configure to work in spanish (see #192293),
bookmarks for common spanish sites, with the desktop already configured
simulating Windows behaviour, with xchat already configured with
spanish IRC channels, etc.

Hope that clears up the idea

Javi