Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Miles Bader wrote:
> Bruce Sass <bsass@edmc.net> writes:
> > > Think about it -- menus are nice because you can browse through them
> > > quickly, seeing what's there.  A `describe this' _command_ like you
> > > suggest is going to seriously interfere with such browsing (as in, stop
> > > it dead in its tracks).
> >
> > How do you figure that.  Don't hit the right mouse button and nothing
> > pops up will stop menu browsing dead in its tracks how?
>
> I mean, if you want to see the `extra' info, then menu-browsing stops
> (because as soon as you select something from a menu, you've got to
> start all over to continue with your menu browsing).

Ok, that makes more sense to me.

> I think the sort of information being discussed is something that users
> typically want to see _as_ they're browing, because it's information that
> they're using to help them find the program they want.

I think that, in the least, it should be a config item.  Most people
probably know what is on their box and don't need the clutter.  I know
I don't like the "New" everythings I see when opening the Konsole
Session menu... what's next, `Your Terminal Sessions', `Your
Preferences'.

- Bruce