Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

Bruce Sass <bsass@edmc.net> writes:
> Sure, instead of genericnames.  User sees "Internet/konqueror", thinks
> wtf is that, RMB on the konqueror enty pops up a menu with entries
> which: fire up khelpcenter on the docs, do "apt-cache show `dpkg -S
> /usr/bin/konqueror` (whatever), etc.

Are you serious?

Think about it -- menus are nice because you can browse through them
quickly, seeing what's there.  A `describe this' _command_ like you
suggest is going to seriously interfere with such browsing (as in, stop
it dead in its tracks).

Those methods might good ways to generate tooltips or something, or as
_additional_ aids to comprehension, but anything that requires the user
to explicitly invoke it is generally only going to be used when the user
already knows what something is, but wants a bit more info (which is not
the case being discussed here).

Personally I like just say `Internet/konqueror' as the menu item, and
something like `Konqueror Web Browser' as the tooltip, but tacking `Web
Browser' onto the end of actual name (e.g. `Konqueror Web Browser') also
seems fine.

-Miles
--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
 you do it."  Mahatma Gandhi