Re: Future releases of Debian

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:50:49PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > > a) You often do not have choice
> > Then you are buying your hardware from the wrong vendor.
>
> It's true that if you've got hardware and software that don't work
> together, you're not buying one or the other from the right vendor. It's
> probably a lot easier for us to have supported the hardware, than for the
> hardware vendor to have used a different chipset (which likely would've
> increased the price, or decreased the possible features).

Most device driver issues relate solely to the kernel, which at present is
very easy to upgrade from source in woody.  The most prominent exception is
XFree86, which is not so easy to upgrade.

My point was that a good hardware vendor will give you a choice of graphics
cards, and if you don't need a fancy 3D card, you can get a high-quality 2D
card for the same price or less.  I don't play 3D games on my workstations,
so I always go for these options.

> Our releasing with old versions of software is a bug we need to
> continually work to *fix*, not excuse.

I am entirely in favor of a shorter release cycle.

--
 - mdz