Re: [internal-projects] [Debian-multimedia] Start an official internal project!

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:40:02PM -0400, andrea.glorioso@centrotemporeale.it wrote:

>     jc> In that case I would rather base my releases based upon debian
>     jc> stable, since releasing a set of products/packages based on a
>     jc> specific prone-to-bugs release of testing or unstable distros
>     jc> (meaning that you cannot install the packages after few days
>     jc> due to a gcc/libc/other transition) could lead to disaster.
>
> I thought that packages entering testing were bug-free wrt > grave
> severity bugs, and that an unstallable package does qualify as a grave
> bug.  Am I missing something?  Actually I was thinking about following
> testing, so your statement perplexed me a bit.

At the moment, because of the gcc transition, we have a libc6 package (2.3.1,
IIRC) stalled in unstable. New packages compiled against that particular
version of libc6 won't enter testing, even though they might be solving
security/other bugs encountered in old (read already in testing) packages.

That kind of situation would lead you to release something based on a broken
release of Debian.

HTH

mooch

--
Jesus Climent | Unix SysAdm | Helsinki, Finland | pumuki.hispalinux.es
GPG: 1024D/86946D69 BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69

If a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.
		--Minister (A clockwork orange)