Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:15:29AM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> I'm NOT saying that 'ordinary' users shouldn't use Debian GNU/Linux. I'm
> saying that Debian GNU/Linux is PRIMARILY _designed_ with for the SERVER
> market. I'm also using Debian GNU/Linux on _all_ my workstations, and many
> of my close friends as well. But that's not what it's PRIMARY design is/was
> for...

I'm not sure what you mean by "design" here.  Debian is supposed to provide a
well integrated set of packages.  I don't see how this "design" fits a server
more than a workstation.

You're right that Debian provides less "fluff" than other distributions, but
the same exact (desktop-oriented) programs that are available for those
distributions are available for Debian (or will be in Woody).

I think you probably don't recommend Debian to your friends because they're
newbies and you don't want to get stuck supporting them.  It's hard to tell
your friends to RTFM.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>