Re: Wish: Unfreeze Woody and start anew

See below...
On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:46:44AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> Now, *that's* clueless. w2k comes from the stable (well...), made from
> scratch NT branch, whereas Win ME comes from the Win9x (patched MsDos),
> flaky, test branch.
> I'd hate to be one of the people you give advice to... ;)

Well, Windows XP is *also* built on that same (or much similar) *N*ot *T*here
(did I just say that out loud?...oh well) kernel.  Do you see many people
or Office use.  Does that mean you can't run a server on it?  No.  Does
that mean it would be less secure than W2K as a server (I am no Windows Expert)
, probably not.

As I explained to someone else (in private) the things that make Debian
attractive as a server is our rock hard security (Thanks W.A. and crew)
and rigerous testing.  These same features also make it unattractive
to someone who may want to run Potato on a desktop.  If there SVGA graphics
card does not work on the current XFree86, why should they run Debian on their
desktop/home/office workstation?

Phil

BTW, I have used Debian for 4 years...but let's not have a whose bigger contest.