Re: Woody release - WHAT is current status

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:16:49PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:09:23PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > When there is useful information on what more has to be done or when
> > it'll be finished you will be told. In the meantime, shut the fuck up
> > and let us get the damn thing finished.
> The problem is: no progress report means no (visible) progress. And of
> course this is the problem of debian as a whole organisation, there is no
> "us" and "rest".

There is always an "us" and "rest". There's the people who're knowledgable
and motivated enough to fix something and those who aren't.

> It realy looks like "we" where finished so unexpected quickly that "we" did
> not be able to forsee a release and failed to set up the infrastructure for
> it.

The security team decided they weren't willing/able to maintain security
updates quite a while ago, and made that pretty clear on at least a
few lists. If you wanted to do something about it, you could've. If the
security team wanted to, they could've. But, naturally, the people to
blame are the ones who're actually doing something about it.

> And now we feel pissed because somebody noticed.

No, we're feeling pissed because we're getting flamed every other day
for a month for trying to fix the fucking problem.

Look, I'm happy to forget this. Woody can be released tomorrow, and we can
just not bother worrying about security updates for our stable release. As
far as I'm concerned that's the security team's "job" to care about,
not mine. I don't think that'd be a win, but if you're trying to convince
me that making the hard choice and waiting until we can support security
updates isn't worth the effort, you're going the right way about it.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif