Re: Woody release - WHAT is current status

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 03:33:16PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org> writes:
> I think that actually something has certainly changed!  Perhaps before
> there was 80% of the work still to be done, and maybe now only 20%
> remains.  (I'm making these percentages up, of course.)

Or maybe previously 56% of the work was still to be done, and now 55%
is to be done. If I could give you any idea of what those percentages
actually are, I'd be happy to do that too. Unfortunately, I can't.

If I could confidently say that either the buildd or the archive
components of the new security.debian.org were working, I'd be happy to do
that too, but I can't, because I'm not yet confident either are working,
nor am I confident that we haven't overlooked something that's going to
make finishing it significantly more work.

If what you're looking for is an interesting distraction, then you might
be interested to know that "accepted autobuilding" and autobuilding of
woody-proposed-updates are partially/mostly implemented. The former means
that the autobuilders for most architectures (all but hurd, m68k and arm,
I believe) will try to build your package half an hour or so after you
upload it. The latter, when it's more complete than it is now, will give
us a bunch more flexibility handling the release and has probably been
long overdue.

And for those of you who're already typing up replies along the lines of
"WHY'RE YOU WASTING TIME ON STUPID THINGS LIKE THIS???", both the above
are necessary components of effective handling of security autobuilding,
as well as being valuable in and of themselves.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif