Fwd: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

And including the list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Juerg Haefliger <juergh@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?
To: Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 10:21 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>>> I believe one of the main features of cloud-init is to provide user data
>>> to the machine at boot time [1]. This functionality did not work for me
>>> with the current (0.7.2) version of cloud-init in debian (they work in
>>> ubuntu)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I know what the user data are. The user data contains the hostname
>> and ssh keys, as I wrote above, which did work for me with the version
>> in Debian 0.7.2-1. Which is why I don't understand why you are saying
>> that it didn't work.
>>
>>> but was restored by the proposed patch [2]. This functionality
>>> is useful in EC2 as well as openstack.
>>
>> Do you know what
>> - cloud-init init --local
>> - cloud-init modules --mode=config
>> - cloud-init modules --mode=final
>
> Ok, I now understand that "cloud-init modules --mode=config" should be
> the part which executes the scripts from the cloud-config script, and
> that should be given with the --user-data when using "nova boot" with
> OpenStack. I'm not sure what the others scripts are doing though. Can
> anyone tell me?

The 4 stages of cloud-init are:
1) cloud-init init --local
2) cloud-init init
3) cloud-init modules --mode=config
4) cloud-init modules --mode=final

#1 is run as soon as the all filesystems are mounted and searches for
configuration data in a local directory. This is for images that have
been built with local config data.

#2 runs when the network becomes available. It searches for remote
configuration data (like the metadata server at 169.254.169.254 for
EC2 and OpenStack) and then runs the modules specified in the
cloud_init_modules section of /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg config file.

#3 runs the modules specified in the cloud_config_modules section of
cloud.cfg. This usually happens right after #2 finishes.

#4 runs the modules specified in the cloud_final_modules section of
cloud.cfg. This happens at around rc.local exec time.

...Juerg