Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

Le Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:01:11PM -0400, Jeff Licquia a écrit :

> This makes four image builder systems that I know of floating around:
>
> 1.  build-debian-cloud, version 1  (shell).  This builds Amazon and
> Google Compute Engine images.
>
> 2.  build-debian-cloud, version 2 (Python), to be released soon.
>
> 3.  zigo's openstack-debian-images
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2013/05/msg00121.html
> git://anonscm.debian.org/openstack/openstack-debian-images.git
> OpenStack-only (though I suspect the images would work fine with very
> little modification on Amazon, at least).
>
> 4.  Juerg's new OpenStack builder for HP Cloud.

  5.  Debian-Installer  (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/).

On AWS, it is also possible to use Debian-Installer directly, but I have not
figured out how to make it install Debian on a partitionless volume (like
/dev/xvdb intead of /dev/xvdb1).  If this problem were solved, creating
Debian images would be as simple as booting Debian-Installer with a preseed
file passed as instance metadata, and registering the installed system.

    http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/installeur-debian-dans-un-nuage-2/

(the other blocker to do thinks neatly is the lack of official images with
cloud-init, however at that point, I am still lacking the time to check if
cloud-init is even working at all on Debian.)

On other Cloud platforms, using Debian-Installer might be even simpler.  Are
there specific points that make people avoid using Debian-Installer ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan