Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On 07/09/2013 10:21 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 04:38 AM, nemo@nautil.org wrote:
>>> That's what I used and backported. What functionality didn't work for
>>> you? For me everything was working:
>>> - ssh key was added in /home/debian/.ssh/authorized_keys2
>>> - hostname was set correctly
>>> - HDD was resized as expected
>>>
>>> Am I missing something? What functionality are we missing because
>>> lacking of these init scripts?
>> I believe one of the main features of cloud-init is to provide user data
>> to the machine at boot time [1]. This functionality did not work for me
>> with the current (0.7.2) version of cloud-init in debian (they work in
>> ubuntu)
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I know what the user data are. The user data contains the hostname
> and ssh keys, as I wrote above, which did work for me with the version
> in Debian 0.7.2-1. Which is why I don't understand why you are saying
> that it didn't work.
>
>> but was restored by the proposed patch [2]. This functionality
>> is useful in EC2 as well as openstack.
>
> Do you know what
> - cloud-init init --local
> - cloud-init modules --mode=config
> - cloud-init modules --mode=final

Ok, I now understand that "cloud-init modules --mode=config" should be
the part which executes the scripts from the cloud-config script, and
that should be given with the --user-data when using "nova boot" with
OpenStack. I'm not sure what the others scripts are doing though. Can
anyone tell me?

Thomas