Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

The usual:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

On 07/15/2013 02:39 PM, Chris Fordham wrote:
> Checking it out, cloud-init on LP does not include any service control
> scripts.

By "service control", do you mean startup script? If so, it does, for
both upstart and sysv-rc.

> Can someone refer what the upstream source is (URLs please) for the
> current packages in Ubuntu and Debian?

https://launchpad.net/cloud-init/trunk/0.7.2/+download/cloud-init-0.7.2.tar.gz

contains a sysvinit folder containing some init scripts.

> Does the package maintainer only
> have these to put in the package?

What do you mean? As discussed, I have been using scripts in the debian
folder, not the ones in the upstream source tree, which are adapted for
CentOS.

> I like the concept of having a separate repository for service control
> of a software title.

What do you mean?

> It means its separated from the software itself,
> very accessible and can be version controlled and managed upstream just
> like the software itself.

Upstream wont care much about sysv-rc script, since they use upstart.
What we do in Debian is using SVN on Alioth, so it really is using a
VCS, no problem with that. To me, having to upstream the Debian init
script is just some added useless work with no benefits at all. Anyone
who has a different opinion (and do not work on the package) shouldn't
spend time discussing the issue in this list (this is pointless), and
work on upstreaming the init scripts. I would really appreciate if
someone did. This is just a mater of opening a bug in Launchpad I guess,
and attaching the Debian init scripts.

Thomas