Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On 07/05/2013 03:24 AM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Anders Ingemann <anders@ingemann.de> wrote:
>> On 5 July 2013 08:58, Juerg Haefliger <juergh@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering if you are willing to work together to build OpenStack compliant images
>> I certainly am. In the coming week or two I will release a python port
>> of my bootstrapper (alpha release), which is much more flexible than
>> the current one.
>> Do you already have an automated version up and running or is the
>> process mostly hand-held?
>
> I have a bash script that automates the image build. It uses
> virt-install to install the base OS using preseeding and then does
> some post-installation fixups. I'm considering moving to Oz and
> libguestfs but haven't had the time yet to look into it more closely.

This makes four image builder systems that I know of floating around:

1.  build-debian-cloud, version 1  (shell).  This builds Amazon and
Google Compute Engine images.

2.  build-debian-cloud, version 2 (Python), to be released soon.

3.  zigo's openstack-debian-images
https://lists.debian.org/debian-cloud/2013/05/msg00121.html
git://anonscm.debian.org/openstack/openstack-debian-images.git
OpenStack-only (though I suspect the images would work fine with very
little modification on Amazon, at least).

4.  Juerg's new OpenStack builder for HP Cloud.

I also have a mostly-working hack to build-debian-cloud (the shell
version) which produces OpenStack images which don't boot. :-)  I
stopped working on it when I saw that build-debian-cloud seems about to
be made obsolete.

Hopefully once the Python build-debian-cloud sees the light of day, we
can pick one framework for building cloud images and focus our efforts
on it.