Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On 07/09/2013 04:38 AM, nemo@nautil.org wrote:
>>> I was not able to use that version of cloud-init (from jessie)
>>> successfully.
>> That's what I used and backported. What functionality didn't work for
>> you? For me everything was working:
>> - ssh key was added in /home/debian/.ssh/authorized_keys2
>> - hostname was set correctly
>> - HDD was resized as expected
>>
>> Am I missing something? What functionality are we missing because
>> lacking of these init scripts?
> I believe one of the main features of cloud-init is to provide user data
> to the machine at boot time [1]. This functionality did not work for me
> with the current (0.7.2) version of cloud-init in debian (they work in
> ubuntu)

Hi,

Yes, I know what the user data are. The user data contains the hostname
and ssh keys, as I wrote above, which did work for me with the version
in Debian 0.7.2-1. Which is why I don't understand why you are saying
that it didn't work.

> but was restored by the proposed patch [2]. This functionality
> is useful in EC2 as well as openstack.

Do you know what
- cloud-init init --local
- cloud-init modules --mode=config
- cloud-init modules --mode=final
are doing? I think it would be a nice thing to document this in a much
bigger long description of the init script. I may try to do my own
search, but if someone has the explanation handy, that might save my
time. It also appears that there are even more upstart scripts.

Thoughts anyone?

> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=709173#10

I have already applied this patch to the packaging, though I wont commit
and upload the fix before I have more explanations, and I can add a bit
of comments in the long descriptions of the init scripts. Also, probably
having a single init script rather than 4 would be a better idea
(starting cloud-init with the needed options in a single script seems
like an easy thing to do).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)