Re: web pages

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:20:03PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> I'll answer the following first, it seems to be the source of our
> misunderstanding:
>
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:04:05AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > And, people wanting to use jigdo or the pik never see the "Latest
> > > CD image release is XX", were you going to duplicate it on those
> > > pages?
> >
> > How does the latest full image release relate to them? I thought
> > they pick up individual packages from a mirror, not from the image.
>
> jigdo and the pik always create a bit-exact copy of the latest
> released CD images. Just how they do it is not important to the user;
> what is important to her is that the result is the same as a HTTP/FTP
> download.

Oh, I see. Well, I read most of the pages (obviously, since I edited them :))
and I didn't notice that. It should be spelled out.

> > > Another point: You've added another click on the way from / to the
> > > image download. That is _completely_unnecessary_!
> >
> > You mean linking from /CD/ to images/ instead of images/http-ftp/?
> > Weren't we supposed to discourage people from using HTTP/FTP?
>
> But not by making the site more difficult to navigate! That was the
> big problem with the "click-through maze" on the old cdimage site. OK
> OK, it's just one more click... but an unnecessary click IMHO.

Okay.

> > Because images/index tells them they can choose between H/F and rsync.
>
> IMHO rsync is not for normal end users, just mirrors and some "power
> users". jigdo will be a full replacement for rsync, so I put the rsync
> list into the mirroring/ directory.
>
> > > Furthermore, IMHO adding a link to "jigdo" WITHIN the text of the bullet
> > > for "http/ftp download" may confuse the visitor.
> >
> > [snip] Little difference, it will still raise a question "jigdo is
> > better? where is it?". The link will merely provide an instant
> > answer (possibly confusing :), instead of leaving them puzzled.
>
> My plan is to move the jigdo bullet up the list (immediately behind
> the net install bullet) and http-ftp to the bottom once jigdo's beta
> phase is over. The http-ftp bullet was written with that in mind,
> hence the reference to jigdo...
>
> > Maybe it's better not to mention it at all, so that we don't
> > interrupt the reader's scanning and let them parse through all of
> > the items?
>
> Hm, maybe. OTOH, that unknown word may make them curious and ensure
> they read on. :)

It seems the best thing would be to decide finally if we're going to push
jigdo or not. We can't have it recommended and mark it
<strong>beta</strong>, that's an oxymoron, at least in Debian. :)

> You have made *lots* of little changes in *lots* of places without asking.

Is that a bad thing or a good thing? :)

I took the opportunity to adjust the little things before we tell the
translators to have a go at it -- afterwards it will just annoy them.

> I'm sorry, but I'm still very much of the opinion that
>  - the extra /CD/images/ page is wrong and should disappear
>  - ditto (mostly) with /CD/

Right. I'll move everything under /CD/. And, to suit my sense of logic, set
up a symlink images/ -> . Okay? :)

>  - the netinst page should be restored to what it was originally like

Erm. Now that I think about it. If we have them click the netinst link from
the /CD/ page, why have the discussion about netinst's pros and cons all
again?

Then again, that's also experimental. Hrm.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.