Re: web pages

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:00:12PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Why floppy net installs should be mentioned:
>
>   True, they don't quite fit there - but consider them part of the
>   general description of net installs. Anyway, all that the old
>   version of the page says is "it is possible, go [here] for details."

Okay, a link would be fine.

> Why there should be a more detailed _general_ description of net
> installs:
>
>   We want to convince people who came to get the .isos that a net
>   install is the right thing for them. (And we want to do that because
>   the CD servers are so overloaded.) Once someone has come to the CD
>   pages with "CD images" on her mind, it will be difficult to dissuade
>   her to try something else. In particular, she won't want to leave
>   the CD-related pages again.
>
>   Furthermore, the term "net install" isn't known by many people,
>   especially outside Debian. Some people could argue "I downloaded the
>   CD image from the net, so it was a net install, no?". It must be
>   described in more detail in exactly the place where people make the
>   decision "CD image" vs "net install" - _they_won't_follow_another_link_!

Well, if they're so hardheaded, we can only _attempt_ to persuade them to
consider other options. Let's keep the attempt to a short list of pros of
the other methods and a link to the details.

> > > - Bottom-left navigation: At least the debian-cd@lists mail address
> > >   should be there. Can I change the navigation to something like this:
> [snip]
> > Yeah, I thought about this, but it required another slice (that
> > string is translatable) and I was lazy. :)
>
> I can do this once I know WML well enough.

Oh, I'll do it, after the big move.

> > > - /Pics/debian.jpg is quite ugly because it's so blurred. Jpeg
> > >   isn't the right format for an image like that - erm, I hope it
> > >   doesn't sound too arrogant if I kindly request that it be
> > >   replaced with a gif or png for all of Debian sometime...?
> >
> > It's not that blurred, really. [snip]
>
> Of course it's still OK in its current form, but just compare it
> side-by-side e.g. to my version
> <http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/debian.png> - in particular the
> swirl shows the typical JPEG artefacts.

True.

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:48:34AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > > What you're saying has merit... I'll move the index and artwork,
> > > jigdo-cd, pik and netinst subdirs to ... (That was .. and then a
> > > full-stop. :)
> >
> > Wait, not netinst, that's also about CD images, just small ones.
>
> It's about using a net install instead of getting Debian on CD.
> Perfectly OK to have it as /CD/netinst IMHO, especially since nothing
> else would be put into /CD/images apart from netinst.

Erm, no, the stuff that would stay in /CD/images is:
  index page (lists the version)
  faq
  http/ftp
  mirroring (+rsync mirrors)
  releases

> > > When the above is done (give me five minutes :).
> >
> > Actually, I think I'm going to give you some time to reply and go to
> > bed instead :)
>
> Written at 04:48AM... - I was beginning to wonder whether you really
> /are/ located in the +0100 time zone that your headers suggest. :-)

I thought the same when I saw your mail :) It's worrying at times :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.