Re: web pages

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:34:30AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> What you're saying has merit... I'll move the index and artwork,
> jigdo-cd, pik and netinst subdirs to ... (That was .. and then a
> full-stop. :)

:) Good.

> > - The "Debian on CD" link on the main page should point to /CD/.
>
> When the above is done (give me five minutes :).

No problem! (:

> > - As Wookey mentioned, some stuff from my version of the
> >   "net-install" page is missing. [snip]
>
> I don't get it, what do the CD pages have to do with network
> installs from floppy?

Hm, you removed both general info about the net install and about
floppy net installs in particular.

Why floppy net installs should be mentioned:

  True, they don't quite fit there - but consider them part of the
  general description of net installs. Anyway, all that the old
  version of the page says is "it is possible, go [here] for details."

Why there should be a more detailed _general_ description of net
installs:

  We want to convince people who came to get the .isos that a net
  install is the right thing for them. (And we want to do that because
  the CD servers are so overloaded.) Once someone has come to the CD
  pages with "CD images" on her mind, it will be difficult to dissuade
  her to try something else. In particular, she won't want to leave
  the CD-related pages again.

  Furthermore, the term "net install" isn't known by many people,
  especially outside Debian. Some people could argue "I downloaded the
  CD image from the net, so it was a net install, no?". It must be
  described in more detail in exactly the place where people make the
  decision "CD image" vs "net install" - _they_won't_follow_another_link_!

> > - Bottom-left navigation: At least the debian-cd@lists mail address
> >   should be there. Can I change the navigation to something like this:
[snip]
> Yeah, I thought about this, but it required another slice (that
> string is translatable) and I was lazy. :)

I can do this once I know WML well enough.

> > - /Pics/debian.jpg is quite ugly because it's so blurred. Jpeg
> >   isn't the right format for an image like that - erm, I hope it
> >   doesn't sound too arrogant if I kindly request that it be
> >   replaced with a gif or png for all of Debian sometime...?
>
> It's not that blurred, really. [snip]

Of course it's still OK in its current form, but just compare it
side-by-side e.g. to my version
<http://cdimage.debian.org/~atterer/debian.png> - in particular the
swirl shows the typical JPEG artefacts.

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 04:48:34AM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > What you're saying has merit... I'll move the index and artwork,
> > jigdo-cd, pik and netinst subdirs to ... (That was .. and then a
> > full-stop. :)
>
> Wait, not netinst, that's also about CD images, just small ones.

It's about using a net install instead of getting Debian on CD.
Perfectly OK to have it as /CD/netinst IMHO, especially since nothing
else would be put into /CD/images apart from netinst.

> > When the above is done (give me five minutes :).
>
> Actually, I think I'm going to give you some time to reply and go to
> bed instead :)

Written at 04:48AM... - I was beginning to wonder whether you really
/are/ located in the +0100 time zone that your headers suggest. :-)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _